well, Ive desoldered both h-bridges on one of the extruder boards and soldered in wires to D5-8
and connected those to a old v1.2 stepper board hooked up to the lin stepper.
It appears to work very well though the firmware doesnt support this configuration in any way. I tried rewriting the firmware to use the outputs as enable/step/direction but had no success with it so far. I did get it stepping by just connecting the direction signal to step but then I have no way to control direction. (note: this is with makerbot firmware)
I will keep working on it though.
oh as a aditional note, when i ordered my 624 bearings i didnt order enough so im short 1 or 2 and im waiting for more to arrive before i get too excited about running mendel 109-01's axies